Highly touted

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
laiyongcai92 laiyongcai92
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Highly touted

James Harrison is headed back to the Super Bowl.

And he says the only thing he’s focused on is winning a third championship.

Everything else is secondary for the 39-year-old Patriots linebacker Authentic Eli Manning Jersey , who is thriving in his new role with the team that was once his rival.

”That’s the goal. To win the Lombardi (Trophy). There’s only one winner,” Harrison said as he prepared to make his first trip to the Super Bowl since the 2008 season, when he captured his second ring with Pittsburgh.

He’s done talking about his abrupt departure from the Steelers last month and the suggestions from his former teammates that it was Harrison who asked to be released after complaints about playing time.

In a lengthy post on Instagram days after joining the Patriots, Harrison responded directly to his critics, writing: ”If anybody thought I signed a two-year deal with a team in the NFL at age 39 to sit on the bench and collect a check and a participation trophy, they’re mistaken. I didn’t sign up to sit on the bench and be a cheerleader.”

What’s not in dispute is that Harrison’s playing time decreased significantly this season with the Steelers.

The Steelers’ sack leader with 80+ in 14 seasons in Pittsburgh, Harrison appeared in just five games and played a total of 38 snaps for them this season. He had only one sack. His five appearances were his fewest since his first season in Pittsburgh in 2002.

After being released on Dec. 23, Harrison signed with New England in time to play in the Patriots’ regular-season finale against the Jets. He had three tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble in his debut.

In one regular season and two playoffs games with the Patriots, he’s already been on the field for 89 snaps.

”I’m doing whatever they ask me to do,” Harrison said. ”I’m getting more snaps than I had (in Pittsburgh), and I like that.”

As to whether he has something to prove at this point in his career Alex McGough Color Rush Jersey , he said that has always been his mindset.

”Anything people say I can’t do, I want to prove them wrong,” Harrison said.

He says it would be impossible for him to feel truly acclimated after just three games, but he has an appreciation for the way the Patriots approach things.

Safety Devin McCourty said Harrison’s work ethic has been noticeable.

”I think younger guys, a lot of younger guys on the team compared to him, can learn from him,” McCourty said. ”I think we all saw that from Day 1 when he came in here bright and early getting whatever he needs done.”

Coach Bill Belichick praised Harrison’s ability to handle the different things they’ve asked of him.

”This guy is a professional. He’s into football. He’s into his job and wants to do it well,” Belichick said. ”I, 100 percent totally respect that. That’s what you want from everybody.”

Harrison started at outside linebacker in the AFC title game against Jacksonville and is in line to start again alongside Kyle Van Noy and Elandon Roberts against the Eagles.

Whatever happens, Harrison is secure in the decisions he’s made.

”It feels good, but like I’ve said before, this is all God’s plan Adidas Derick Brassard Jersey ,” he said. ”This is all his doing. I’m just reaping the benefits of it right now.”

A look at what’s happening around the majors today:

SOUTH BEACH STANTON

Giancarlo Stanton returns to Marlins Park for the first time since Miami traded him to the New York Yankees in December. Stanton spent his first eight years with the Marlins and was the NL MVP last season when he hit 59 home runs.

Stanton went 0 for 7 with four strikeouts in mid-April when the Marlins visited Yankee Stadium. The slugger has 32 homers this year and 299 in his career going into this two-game series.

“It’s going to be weird for sure walking in, going to the visitors’ side,” Stanton said. “But I am looking forward to it. It’s a big part of my life, my time down there. It will be a cool experience.”

MISSED YOU

Star second baseman Jose Altuve is set to come off the disabled list and rejoin the Astros. Houston wobbled minus the reigning AL MVP, whose knee trouble put him on the DL for the first time in his career. The World Series champs lost 13 of the next 20 games after Altuve was sidelined July 25. He has led the AL in hits for four straight years and is batting .329 this season. Altuve is ready to be in the lineup at Seattle.

FROM WAY BACK

Blue Jays rookie catcher Danny Jansen is being reunited this week with his “big bro” Adam Jones as Toronto hosts Baltimore. When Jones was a minor leaguer with Class A Wisconsin in 2004, the then-18-year-old lived with Jansen’s family. Jansen was 9 years old at the time but has since embarked on his own pro career, making his major league debut last week. Jones tweeted Monday recalling Jansen “waking me up at 7am before you had to go to school” and the two of them playing video games.

“This is a Movie,” Jones added.

HEATING UP

Highly touted White Sox prospect Michael Kopech makes his major league debut when he throws his 100 mph fastball at home against the Twins. The 22-year-old righty was 7-7 with a 3.70 ERA at Triple-A, striking out 170 in 126 1/3 innings. Kopech was traded from Boston to Chicago after the 2016 season in the deal for ace Chris Sale.

CAREFUL

The White Sox will see how manager Rick Renteria is doing a day after he was taken to a hospital because of lightheadedness. The 56-year-old Renteria was at Target Field when the issue arose before the game against the Twins on Monday. A team official said tests didn’t show any problems. Renteria remained in the hospital overnight.

Bench coach Joe McEwing took over as manager for the one-game makeup in Minnesota. The teams now play twice in Chicago.