I was wasting a pitch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
laiyongcai92 laiyongcai92
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I was wasting a pitch

Jhoulys Chacin settled down nicely after a rough start.

Trailing 2-0 after the first three batters of the game [url=http://www.bearscheapshop.com/cheap-authentic-pernell-mcphee-jersey]Pernell McPhee Jersey[/url] , Chacin threw seven solid innings and Hernan Perez homered among his three hits, leading the Milwaukee Brewers to a 7-2 victory over the Atlanta Braves on Thursday night in a matchup of first-place teams.

NL Central Division-leading Milwaukee won its fourth game in a row to go 17 games over .500 (52-35) for the first time since July 1, 2014, when the Brewers were 51-34.

Chacin (7-3) gave up three hits and two earned runs while matching a season high with seven strikeouts in what tied for his longest outing this year. The right-hander, who was 0-2 in his previous three starts while allowing 10 runs in 15 2/3 innings, retired 20 of the last 24 batters he faced.

”Jhoulys pitched excellent – after the first,” Milwaukee manager Craig Counsell said. ”He locked it in and made some really good pitches the rest of the night.”

Dan Jennings pitched two perfect innings for his first save this season, and second of his career.

NL East-leading Atlanta dropped its third consecutive game after winning four straight – and lost for the first time this season on a Thursday (7-1).

Braves left-hander Max Fried (1-3) lasted only three innings in his third start of the season, giving up four earned runs and four hits with three walks.

”He had a blister starting and he’s had a history of the blister thing,” Atlanta manager Brian Snitker said. ”And when it kind of surfaced, I decided I didn’t want to take any chances, so I shut him down.”

Atlanta gave Fried a 2-0 lead in the first [url=http://www.jaguarscheapshop.com/cheap-authentic-leonard-fournette-jersey]Leonard Fournette Jersey[/url] , but he allowed a run in the bottom of the frame and did not help his cause in the second. After a leadoff triple by Perez and a walk to Keon Broxton, Milwaukee tied it at 2 on a single by Tyler Saladino. Fried failed to hold the runners on first and second by not even looking at them, so Broxton and Saladino converted a double steal. Erik Kratz’s groundout scored Broxton to give Milwaukee a 3-2 lead.

”We’re getting the right guys out there, trying to do our homework and find spots when we can take advantage of something,” Counsell said.

Then, Fried not only walked Chacin, he fired a wild pitch that bounced off the backstop on ball four. Catcher Tyler Flowers retrieved the ball and threw to Fried covering the plate. But Saladino – who appeared to be an easy out – slid awkwardly in front of the plate and knocked it out of the pitcher’s glove. Saladino got up and stepped on the plate for a 4-2 lead.

Perez hit a two-run homer – his fifth – off reliever Dan Winkler in the eighth.

MORE MOUND MISCUES

In the first, Ozzie Albies scored from third on a grounder hit by Freddie Freeman. Chacin fielded the ball, looked at Albies and then slowly lobbed a high toss to first which allowed the speedster to score without a throw home. … In the eighth, Winkler’s pickoff attempt at first hit Jonathan Villar in the head and the ball ended up in Milwaukee’s dugout for an error. Villar took second and scored on a single by Christian Yelich.

FREEMAN STILL SLUMPING

In his previous nine games in Milwaukee, Freeman was hitting .419 (13-for-31) with six home runs and seven walks. But that did not end his slump, as he was 0 for 3 and is now batting .154 (10-for-65) in his last 16 games.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Braves: RHP Julio Tehran is not in Milwaukee after coming down with an illness while the team was in New York. Since he was not scheduled to start against the Brewers [url=http://www.bengalscheapshop.com/cheap-authentic-joe-mixon-jersey]Joe Mixon Jersey[/url] , the Braves sent him back to Atlanta.

Brewers: INF Saladino (left ankle sprain) was activated from the disabled list and INF Eric Sogard was designated for assignment.

UP NEXT

Braves: RHP Mike Foltynewicz (6-4, 2.02) is 1-1 all-time against Milwaukee.

Brewers: Rookie RHP Freddy Peralta (3-1, 2.28) makes his sixth start.

Eli Apple is vowing to mend his ways after being given a second chance by the New York Giants.

The 22-year-old cornerback who was the 10th pick in the 2016 draft on Monday promised to be a better player, a better person, and a better teammate as the Giants start a rebuilding process under new coach Pat Shurmur after a 3-13 season.

It was a year Apple would like to forget, both on and off the field. He started only seven games, was inactive for four and was suspended for the final game of the schedule after getting into an argument with the coaching staff. The Ohio State product also got in a beef with Landon Collins that ended with the star safety calling him a cancer.

It was ugly and highlighted a year in which Apple dealt with a crisis at home: His mother had brain surgery.

"Was I embarrassed? Of course," Apple said after the Giants held a two-hour practice at the first of their 10 organized team activities. "Nobody wants to go out the way I went out. I mean, it was all over the place, so of course.

Many wondered whether the Giants would want Apple back after his second season, one that many had forecast would provide a great leap forward for him.

What changed, though [url=http://www.bengalscheapshop.com/cheap-authentic-george-iloka-jersey]George Iloka Jersey[/url] , was the Giants shaking up things after last season. Dave Gettleman was hired to replace Jerry Reese as general manager and Shurmur replaced interim coach Steve Spagnuolo, who had taken over when Ben McAdoo was fired in early December.

One of the first things Gettleman did was tell him everyone was starting with a clean slate.

"I'm just going to fine tune everything, come in with a different attitude and just be positive out there on the field, and just do everything that I can to make myself better as a player, and everybody else better as a team," Apple said.

There is no doubt Apple needs to improve. He finished with 49 tackles and two fumble recoveries last season. He did not have an interception and has only one in two seasons.

The Giants showed some faith in him by releasing veteran Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie in the offseason.

Apple said he's trying to mature and improve how he communicates with coaches and teammates. He said he has patched up his relationship with Collins.

Despite all the problems, Apple said his confidence was not shaken. He admits being blindsided by all the attention he got. His goal this season is to work hard, be positive and try to be on an even keel.

"Maybe I got a little too confident a little bit in thinking I was going to make a big step," he said. "It's about just taking it day by day and continuing to be patient, and just know my time's going to come."

For now, Apple has an idea who he is.

"I think I'm a 22 year-old guy, just ready to get to work and continue to work hard and just build on that [url=http://www.brownscheapshop.com/cheap-authentic-kevin-zeitler-jersey]Kevin Zeitler Jersey[/url] ," he said.

NOTES: Shurmur threw out the first pitch at the Mets game with Arizona on Sunday. It was short and wide toward the visitors dugout. It was not as bad as the 50 Cent mode , but it was not good.

"Yeah, well, I was wasting a pitch" Shurmur quipped, adding he has a new appreciation for baseball while insisting he did not have a case of jitters. "That's what I was doing, like some good pitchers might.

"There are certain things that you try to not redo." ... First-round draft pick and new father Saquon Barkley showed some deft moves off the field when asked about combining football and family life.

"It actually kind of sucks a little bit - well that came off wrong at first," he said. "It kind of sucks because I'm not with my daughter as much as I would love to be because obviously training camp, rookie minicamp, OTAs and then I had to go to L.A. for the Rookie Premiere. But I get to see her this weekend, so that is going to be great to be able to hold her again."

[url=http://www.basketballofficialauthentic.com/nba-jerseys/atlanta-hawks/omari-spellman-jersey]Omari Spellman Jersey[/url] ,