New York Giants: Owner John Mara mum on meeting with Odell Beckham Jr.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Kikaha Kikaha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New York Giants: Owner John Mara mum on meeting with Odell Beckham Jr.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- On Tuesday, New York Giants co-owner John Mara voiced his unhappiness with the behavior exhibited by receiver Odell Beckham Jr.'s touchdown celebration
in which he mimicked a urinating dog.

On Wednesday, Mara met with Beckham in his office after the team's practice, but would not divulge what was said between the two men.

I guess. Only thing is causing a penalty to the team -- that's really it.,<strong>Authentic Aaron Rodgers Jersey</strong>,Asked if he felt Beckham embarrassed the organization with his actions,<strong>Womens Ha Ha Clinton-Dix Jersey</strong>, Mara said,<strong>Womens Andrew Luck Jersey</strong>, "More myself

"My only regret is causing us 15 (penalty) yards and having to cover a long kickoff. Thankfully,<strong>Womens T.Y. Hilton Jersey</strong>, we didn't have any setback from there and covered the kickoff well."

Head coach Ben McAdoo,<strong>Womens Leonard Fournette Jersey</strong>, who initially avoided the issue when he was asked about it during his conference call on Monday, was a bit more direct this time around.

"We had 10 penalties in the football game," he said of last week's sloppy showing. "Penalties snap to whistle are penalties that happen in the game; you can clean those up with
fundamentals.

"Celebration penalties are things you can't have. It's a poor reflection of me, on the program and on the organization. We're going to handle it internally and we have a plan
for it moving forward."

Asked if he was confident Beckham received the message and that something like this wouldn't happen again, McAdoo said, "That didn't come out of my mouth."

Was he worried that it might happen again?

"We have a plan for it if it does," he said.

Beckham, who on social media confirmed his action was in response to President Trump's "son of a bitch" comments made during an Alabama campaign rally last week for outgoing
U.S. Senator Luther Strange, believes that the officials in Sunday's game were split over whether to flag him for his celebration.

"I don't even know if they knew to call a penalty or not because of the look of confusion on their faces. 'Do we throw the flag or not?'" he said. "It was kind of like, 'Just
throw the flag.'"

He also insisted after the game that he was trying to provide his team, which was down 14-0 at that point in the game, with a spark.

"You're 0-2 and you're down 14-0 in the third quarter so it's time to win games and make plays and I just like being a spark and some energy for this team," Beckham said. "I
know that touchdown and the one after it gave us a spark,<strong>Womens Aaron Rodgers Jersey</strong>, but it's just the little thing of getting a penalty. You just can't do it. It doesn't need to be done.

"I do know going forward,<strong>Authentic Ha Ha Clinton-Dix Jersey</strong>,I have better celebrations,<strong>Authentic T.Y. Hilton Jersey</strong>," Beckham added.

McAdoo said the coaching staff has reviewed the celebration rules with the players and that they also had the officials come in to shed clarity on the matter as well.

He added,<strong>Authentic Leonard Fournette Jersey</strong>, "Whether it was or wasn't a penalty, it's still not something we're condoning."

In s somewhat related note, Mara was also scheduled to meet with a group of other players on Wednesday afternoon regarding demonstrations against the national anthem, and the
comments made by President Trump about the league since then.

Looking around the roster:

--Defensive end Olivier Vernon (ankle) did not practice Wednesday. Vernon told reporters Tuesday that the MRI on his injured ankle came back clean and that he was focused on
getting ready for Sunday. He has been receiving aggressive treatment on his ailing ankle injured in Sunday's' loss at Philadelphia.

--Running back Orleans Darkwa (back) did not practice Wednesday. Darkwa told reporters Tuesday that he was optimistic about being ready to go Sunday, but it looks like the
Giants are going to start the week being cautious with him.

--Linebacker B.J. Goodson (shin) was limited in Wednesday's practice. Goodson has missed the last two games with his injury.

--Cornerback Janoris Jenkins (ankle) took his full practice workload in Wednesday's practice. Jenkins should be available to play Sunday afternoon.

--Right tackle Bobby Hart (ankle) did not practice Wednesday and is unlikely to play Sunday. Justin Pugh has filled in at right tackle these last two games with Hart out of the
lineup.

--Linebacker Jonathan Casillas (ankle/wrist) did not practice Wednesday. Casillas is a surprise addition to the njury report; if he can't go, Keenan Robinson, who last week
returned to NFL action after being sidelined over a month while in the league's concussion protocol,<strong>Authentic Andrew Luck Jersey</strong>,  is listed on the team's unofficial depth chart as the next man up.

--Running back Shane Vereen (calf) was added to the injury report after the start of practice. Vereen appeared to injure his calf during the individual build-ups and was held
out of the team part of practice.

--Running back Wayne Gallman, said he took the bulk of the team reps in Wednesday's practice with both Orleans Darkwa and Shane Vereen
, who has yet to be active for a game

sidelined by injuries.